Sunday, August 31, 2025
Khmer Daily Cambodia News
34 °c
Phnom Penh
  • LATEST
  • CAMBODIA
  • ASIA
    • JAPAN
    • SOUTH KOREA
    • TAIWAN
  • WORLD
    • CHINA
    • RUSSIA
  • BUSINESS CAMBODIA
  • TECHNOLOGY
No Result
View All Result
  • LATEST
  • CAMBODIA
  • ASIA
    • JAPAN
    • SOUTH KOREA
    • TAIWAN
  • WORLD
    • CHINA
    • RUSSIA
  • BUSINESS CAMBODIA
  • TECHNOLOGY
No Result
View All Result
The Khmer Daily
No Result
View All Result
Home ASIA Cambodia

Ministry of Tourism: Cambodia tourism sector expects more Chinese

May 15, 2020
in ASIA, Business, Cambodia, National
0
0
SHARES
16
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Cambodia is expected to see a first flow of Chinese tourists visiting the country when the world is clear of COVID-19. Chinese tourists form the largest market for Cambodia. The Ministry of Tourism says it is preparing to receive many visitors from the country soon.

Chinese tourists are a major market that will rebound and take the lead in visiting international destinations, Tourism Minister Thong Khon said during a meeting last week.

“When the Chinese government allows its people to go out or resume their flights, we think there will be a big flow of Chinese tourists to Cambodia,” he said.

With such optimism, the minister has ordered all official experts at the ministry to be ready to receive Chinese tourists in accordance with the “China Ready” strategy, while urging the tourism businesses and other tourism destinations to further implement health and safety measures for all tourists.

Cambodia launched its “China Ready” strategy in 2016, intending to attract more Chinese tourists to the country.

After COVID-19 ends within the next four or five months, according to Tith Chantha, Secretary of State at the Ministry of Tourism, the number of foreign visitors to Cambodia will increase two or three-fold.

In the light of COVID-19, Cambodia’s aviation sector is almost completely decimated because of extreme travel restrictions, with air passenger numbers dropping more than 90 percent as of April this year, a figure from the State Secretariat of Civil Aviation (SSCA) showed.

There are almost no flights in Cambodia, according to the SSCA, noting China allows only one flight per week for one airline from Cambodia.

In a worst-case scenario for Cambodia, the Asian Development Bank estimates that the Kingdom’s decline in tourism revenues could be $856.5 million, which translates to about 3.5 percent of the county’s GDP.

Ticket sales at Cambodia’s Angkor Wat Archaeological Park, the world-famous historical site, saw a dramatic decrease from January to April which was caused by the ongoing global pandemic.

During the past four months, the park generated roughly $18 million which was a fall of 59.33 percent over the corresponding period last year, the state-run Angkor Enterprise reported on Friday.

The enterprise noted that a total of 384,317 foreign tourists visited the country’s most famous tourist attraction in Siem Reap province. The number of tickets sold at the park saw a nearly 60 percent decrease during the period.

In April alone, the ticket sales saw a 99.5 percent drop, generated only $29,368, while only 654 foreign tourists bought entrance passes.

This article was first published in Khmer Times. All contents and images are copyright to their respective owners and sources.

Tags: #COVID-19CambodiaChinese touristsMinistry of TourismSiem Reap
Previous Post

New method to detect Alzheimer’s could identify disease 10 years before onset of symptoms, Hong Kong researchers say

Next Post

Coronavirus pandemic may bring ‘major mental health crisis’, UN says

Related Posts

Thai soldiers encounter landmines in former Cambodian battlefield for the second time

Thai soldiers encounter landmines in former Cambodian battlefield for the second time

by Khmer Times
July 25, 2025
0
40

On July 23, a Thai soldier lost his leg and several others sustained injuries after triggering a landmine while patrolling...

Cambodia dismisses Thai accusations of planting new landmines

Cambodia dismisses Thai accusations of planting new landmines

by Khmer Times
July 25, 2025
0
28

Cambodia dismisses Thai accusations of planting new landmines, causing injuries to five soldiers. Maly Socheata, undersecretary of state at Cambodia's...

Thailand has intensified its diplomatic with Cambodia following a second landmine incident

Thailand has intensified its diplomatic with Cambodia following a second landmine incident

by Khmer Times
July 25, 2025
0
17

Following a second landmine incident, Thailand has intensified diplomatic tensions with Cambodia, choosing to recall its ambassador and expel Cambodia's...

Most Popular

Thai soldiers encounter landmines in former Cambodian battlefield for the second time

Thai soldiers encounter landmines in former Cambodian battlefield for the second time

July 25, 2025
40
Wrapped in blanket, dumped in pond: Top South Korean livestreamer found dead in Cambodia

Wrapped in blanket, dumped in pond: Top South Korean livestreamer found dead in Cambodia

June 14, 2023
148
Cambodia dismisses Thai accusations of planting new landmines

Cambodia dismisses Thai accusations of planting new landmines

July 25, 2025
28
Rare earth elements discovered on Gossan Hills prospects in Cambodia, says Angkor Resources

Rare earth elements discovered on Gossan Hills prospects in Cambodia, says Angkor Resources

November 17, 2021
91
Prince Manor Resort in Cambodia, built at a cost of $85 million, launched

Prince Manor Resort in Cambodia, built at a cost of $85 million, launched

October 10, 2020
80
Cambodia’s first glove manufacturing factory, RMKH Glove (Cambodia), launches production operation in Bavet

Cambodia’s first glove manufacturing factory, RMKH Glove (Cambodia), launches production operation in Bavet

October 3, 2022
100

© 2020 By Khmer Daily News

error: Content is protected !!
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Latest
  • Cambodia
  • ASIA
  • World
  • Business
  • Tech

© 2019 The Khmer Daily.