Saturday, August 30, 2025
Khmer Daily Cambodia News
34 °c
Phnom Penh
  • LATEST
  • CAMBODIA
  • ASIA
    • JAPAN
    • SOUTH KOREA
    • TAIWAN
  • WORLD
    • CHINA
    • RUSSIA
  • BUSINESS CAMBODIA
  • TECHNOLOGY
No Result
View All Result
  • LATEST
  • CAMBODIA
  • ASIA
    • JAPAN
    • SOUTH KOREA
    • TAIWAN
  • WORLD
    • CHINA
    • RUSSIA
  • BUSINESS CAMBODIA
  • TECHNOLOGY
No Result
View All Result
The Khmer Daily
No Result
View All Result
Home ASIA Cambodia

Completion of heavy fuel oil power plant in Kandal will ease power shortages in Cambodia

July 1, 2020
in Business, Cambodia, National
0
Completion of heavy fuel oil power plant in Kandal will ease power shortages in Cambodia
0
SHARES
27
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The construction of two $380 million 400-MW power plants, fueled by heavy fuel oil in Kandal province’s Lvea Em district was 90 percent complete, senior official said.

The facility construction is almost done despite COVID-19 pandemic which has put limit on border crossings, Victor Jona, Director General of Energy at the Ministry of Mines and Energy, told AKP on Tuesday.

“The plant is currently about 90 percent complete and the engine units of the power plants imported from Finland and Germany have been installed,” he said, adding that the remaining work involves technical matter by foreign experts (testing and commissioning).

“Due to travel bans imposed during the COVID-19 crisis, foreign experts who will conduct testing of engine units of the power plants could not come at the moment,” he said.

However, the plants are expected to operate within this year if the COVID-19 crisis comes to an end, he underlined.

Facing power shortage in the dry season last year, Cambodian government decided to spend US$380 million to buy 400 MW engines – 200 MW engine each from Finland and Germany.

The government also has a plan to build a substation connecting the 400mW project to the national grid, which is expected to significantly contribute towards stabilising the country’s power supply. It is also part of the government’s plan to combat power woes in the country.

It was previously announced $300 million of the project’s cost is from government funds in the form of loans and the rest coming from the state-run Electricite Du Cambodge’s budget.

The construction of the power project started in October 2019. It is is composed of two plants. One will be powered by a 200mW generator from Finnish firm Wartsila. This plant is being developed by Chinese firm CGGC.

The second plant will use another 200mW generator, this time from Germany’s Man Group. It is being built by China National Heavy Machinery Corp (CHMC).

As some factories have been shut down due to the lack of raw materials caused by the COVID-19 crisis, the power demand decreases between 20 and 30 percent this year, Mr Jona said.

Last year, Cambodia consumed a total of 12,014.59 million kWh, a year-on-year increase of 23 percent. Chea Vannak-AKP/Khmer Times

This article was first published in Khmer Times. All contents and images are copyright to their respective owners and sources.

Tags: CambodiaKandalpower plant in Kandalpower shortages in Cambodiashortages in Cambodia
Previous Post

Cambodia Local business owners must prepare for a ‘new normal’

Next Post

Japanese filmmaker’s Wuhan documentary goes viral

Related Posts

Thai soldiers encounter landmines in former Cambodian battlefield for the second time

Thai soldiers encounter landmines in former Cambodian battlefield for the second time

by Khmer Times
July 25, 2025
0
39

On July 23, a Thai soldier lost his leg and several others sustained injuries after triggering a landmine while patrolling...

Cambodia dismisses Thai accusations of planting new landmines

Cambodia dismisses Thai accusations of planting new landmines

by Khmer Times
July 25, 2025
0
28

Cambodia dismisses Thai accusations of planting new landmines, causing injuries to five soldiers. Maly Socheata, undersecretary of state at Cambodia's...

Thailand has intensified its diplomatic with Cambodia following a second landmine incident

Thailand has intensified its diplomatic with Cambodia following a second landmine incident

by Khmer Times
July 25, 2025
0
17

Following a second landmine incident, Thailand has intensified diplomatic tensions with Cambodia, choosing to recall its ambassador and expel Cambodia's...

Most Popular

Thai soldiers encounter landmines in former Cambodian battlefield for the second time

Thai soldiers encounter landmines in former Cambodian battlefield for the second time

July 25, 2025
39
Wrapped in blanket, dumped in pond: Top South Korean livestreamer found dead in Cambodia

Wrapped in blanket, dumped in pond: Top South Korean livestreamer found dead in Cambodia

June 14, 2023
148
Cambodia dismisses Thai accusations of planting new landmines

Cambodia dismisses Thai accusations of planting new landmines

July 25, 2025
28
Rare earth elements discovered on Gossan Hills prospects in Cambodia, says Angkor Resources

Rare earth elements discovered on Gossan Hills prospects in Cambodia, says Angkor Resources

November 17, 2021
91
Prince Manor Resort in Cambodia, built at a cost of $85 million, launched

Prince Manor Resort in Cambodia, built at a cost of $85 million, launched

October 10, 2020
80
Neak Poan Temple is a destination for tourists to visit and take beautiful pictures

Neak Poan Temple is a destination for tourists to visit and take beautiful pictures

July 3, 2023
129

© 2020 By Khmer Daily News

error: Content is protected !!
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Latest
  • Cambodia
  • ASIA
  • World
  • Business
  • Tech

© 2019 The Khmer Daily.