Sunday, August 31, 2025
Khmer Daily Cambodia News
34 °c
Phnom Penh
  • LATEST
  • CAMBODIA
  • ASIA
    • JAPAN
    • SOUTH KOREA
    • TAIWAN
  • WORLD
    • CHINA
    • RUSSIA
  • BUSINESS CAMBODIA
  • TECHNOLOGY
No Result
View All Result
  • LATEST
  • CAMBODIA
  • ASIA
    • JAPAN
    • SOUTH KOREA
    • TAIWAN
  • WORLD
    • CHINA
    • RUSSIA
  • BUSINESS CAMBODIA
  • TECHNOLOGY
No Result
View All Result
The Khmer Daily
No Result
View All Result
Home ASIA Japan

Japan PM Suga trips up with messy reversal on tourism campaign

November 26, 2020
in ASIA, Japan
0
Japan PM Suga trips up with messy reversal on tourism campaign
0
SHARES
9
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

TOKYO  – Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga’s abrupt decision to partially pause a domestic travel campaign amid rising Covid-19 cases – after insisting it would go ahead – looks likely to cost him support and may cloud his chances of a long-term tenure.

Mr Suga, who took the top job in September after Mr Shinzo Abe resigned citing illness, has enjoyed solid ratings of over 50 per cent, buoyed by an image as a down-to-earth leader pushing popular policies such as lower mobile phone rates.

But critics said his reversal on a programme he has backed to bolster the economy even as new cases spiked was too little, too late, and risked leaving the image of a leader both stubborn and indecisive, without due care for public health.

“It’s a display of indecisiveness that gives people a lot of reason to be resentful,” said Sophia University professor Koichi Nakano.

Mr Abe’s support ratings never recovered after sagging on the perception that his response to the pandemic was flawed.

Mr Suga is serving out Mr Abe’s remaining term to next September and must win a ruling Liberal Democratic Party leadership race then in order to remain premier.

The policy fumble threatens his standing just two months into his premiership, with stiffer tests ahead, including the extent to which Covid-19 cases and deaths rise, and whether Tokyo can host the postponed Summer Olympics in 2021.

“His ratings will decline, almost certainly,” said independent political analyst Atsuo Ito. “The view may spread that he puts a priority on keeping the economy running rather than protecting people’s lives.”

In brief remarks on Saturday (Nov 21) – after a three-day holiday was under way – Mr Suga said the government would suspend new travel reservations to areas hard hit by Covid-19 under its “Go To Travel” programme, which subsidises tourism.

Critics of the programme have said it risks spreading the infection and mistakenly gives the public the impression it’s safe to let down their guard.

On Tuesday, the government said Osaka and the city of Sapporo in Hokkaido would be excluded as target destinations in the travel subsidy programme.

Government officials have repeatedly said travel itself does not spread infections if proper preventive steps are taken.

Mr Suga defended the travel campaign on Wednesday, telling a parliamentary panel only a sliver of users had become infected and it was “extremely effective to support regional economies”.

However, Kyoto University professor Hiroshi Nishiura, an infectious disease expert and member of a government advisory board, said it was clear greater movement of people boosted infection risk.

The experts advising the government – who last Friday had finally urged a partial pause in the travel programme – had been “somewhat forced” to accept policies to help the economy despite such increased health risks, he said.

Dr Kiyoshi Kurokawa, a physician and prominent scientific adviser to the government, said Mr Suga’s actions reflected a broader problem in his policymaking.

“He is making instantaneous decisions without listening or learning anything about it, which is a stupid thing to do,” Dr Kurokawa said. “He is losing some trust of the public.”

Opposition parties, who are also linking Mr Suga to an alleged Abe funding scandal, have also gone on the attack.

“The timing of the announcement was too late and both the timing and target areas are not clear,” Mr Tetsuro Fukuyama, secretary-general of the opposition Constitutional Democratic Party of Japan, said on television.

Mr Suga’s long-term future hinges on the outcome of a general election that must be held by October 2021.

“If the LDP loses a lot of seats, he may be held responsible,” said University of Tokyo political science professor Yu Uchiyama.

This article was first published in Asia One . All contents and images are copyright to their respective owners and sources.

Tags: #coronavirus#COVID-19JapanJapan PM
Previous Post

British royal Meghan speaks about miscarriage in media article

Next Post

Covid-19 spreads in Central Java as public neglects health protocols

Related Posts

Thai soldiers encounter landmines in former Cambodian battlefield for the second time

Thai soldiers encounter landmines in former Cambodian battlefield for the second time

by Khmer Times
July 25, 2025
0
40

On July 23, a Thai soldier lost his leg and several others sustained injuries after triggering a landmine while patrolling...

Cambodia dismisses Thai accusations of planting new landmines

Cambodia dismisses Thai accusations of planting new landmines

by Khmer Times
July 25, 2025
0
28

Cambodia dismisses Thai accusations of planting new landmines, causing injuries to five soldiers. Maly Socheata, undersecretary of state at Cambodia's...

Thailand has intensified its diplomatic with Cambodia following a second landmine incident

Thailand has intensified its diplomatic with Cambodia following a second landmine incident

by Khmer Times
July 25, 2025
0
17

Following a second landmine incident, Thailand has intensified diplomatic tensions with Cambodia, choosing to recall its ambassador and expel Cambodia's...

Most Popular

Thai soldiers encounter landmines in former Cambodian battlefield for the second time

Thai soldiers encounter landmines in former Cambodian battlefield for the second time

July 25, 2025
40
Wrapped in blanket, dumped in pond: Top South Korean livestreamer found dead in Cambodia

Wrapped in blanket, dumped in pond: Top South Korean livestreamer found dead in Cambodia

June 14, 2023
148
Cambodia dismisses Thai accusations of planting new landmines

Cambodia dismisses Thai accusations of planting new landmines

July 25, 2025
28
Rare earth elements discovered on Gossan Hills prospects in Cambodia, says Angkor Resources

Rare earth elements discovered on Gossan Hills prospects in Cambodia, says Angkor Resources

November 17, 2021
91
Prince Manor Resort in Cambodia, built at a cost of $85 million, launched

Prince Manor Resort in Cambodia, built at a cost of $85 million, launched

October 10, 2020
80
Neak Poan Temple is a destination for tourists to visit and take beautiful pictures

Neak Poan Temple is a destination for tourists to visit and take beautiful pictures

July 3, 2023
129

© 2020 By Khmer Daily News

error: Content is protected !!
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Latest
  • Cambodia
  • ASIA
  • World
  • Business
  • Tech

© 2019 The Khmer Daily.