The Jakarta administration announced on Sunday that it would extend the transitional period of the large-scale social restrictions for another two weeks until Dec 6 amid a recent surge of new Covid-19 cases and following a number mass gatherings that led to accusations of widespread violations of health protocols.
“The Jakarta administration can pull the ‘emergency brake’ if
He explained that the capital city had seen an 11.62 per cent increase in new Covid-19 cases in the past two weeks after seeing a relatively declining trend in the previous weeks.
The number of Covid-19 weekly reproduction numbers has also increased slightly to 1.06 from 1.05.
“The rate of public compliance with the health protocols needs to reach a minimum of 80 per cent so we can
He vowed that he would impose stricter enforcement of health protocols to curb the spread of Covid-19.
“In the future, we’ll enforce stricter health-protocol measures. We hope residents can also proactively report any violations. I emphasize once again that we need to remain disciplined in following the health protocols,” he said.
Previously, the Visit Wonderful Indonesia board — an umbrella organization for 18 tourism associations — had asked Anies not to extend the transitional PSBB.
Board chairman Hariyadi B Sukamdani said given the numerous public breaches of existing health protocols, the Jakarta administration might as well revoke Covid-19 restrictions to grant tourist businesses greater freedom to recoup their losses amid the current economic downturn.
Anies said the goal of Jakarta administration was to curb the Covid-19 transmission rate and that the public should also take part in the efforts.
“We cannot just do whatever we want, we should focus on carrying out measures to control Covid-19. If the public remained disciplined in following the health protocols, the number of new cases would also decrease,” he said.
This article was first published in Asia One . All contents and images are copyright to their respective owners and sources.