Friday, August 29, 2025
Khmer Daily Cambodia News
34 °c
Phnom Penh
  • LATEST
  • CAMBODIA
  • ASIA
    • JAPAN
    • SOUTH KOREA
    • TAIWAN
  • WORLD
    • CHINA
    • RUSSIA
  • BUSINESS CAMBODIA
  • TECHNOLOGY
No Result
View All Result
  • LATEST
  • CAMBODIA
  • ASIA
    • JAPAN
    • SOUTH KOREA
    • TAIWAN
  • WORLD
    • CHINA
    • RUSSIA
  • BUSINESS CAMBODIA
  • TECHNOLOGY
No Result
View All Result
The Khmer Daily
No Result
View All Result
Home World

British Museum accepts Nigerian artist’s gift but keeps looted bronzes

October 9, 2021
in World
0
British Museum accepts Nigerian artist’s gift but keeps looted bronzes
0
SHARES
3
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

LONDON – An artist from Benin City in Nigeria said the British Museum had accepted his gift of a bronze plaque in what he felt was a possible first step towards the museum’s return of the priceless Benin Bronzes that were looted by British troops in 1897.

However, the museum told him an exchange of new for looted artworks was impossible, he said.

Osarobo Zeickner-Okoro, a founding member of Ahiamwen, a new guild of Benin City bronze casters and artists, had offered his creation to encourage the museum to give back the sculptures but also to demand acknowledgement of the city’s modern-day culture.

After meeting with two curators from the museum’s Africa department, he told Reuters on Thursday they had accepted his gift and expressed an interest in acquiring several works by other Ahiamwen artists.

The museum said it was grateful for the meeting with Zeickner-Okoro but: “At this stage, there have been no formal discussions about acquiring these objects for the collection.”

Zeickner-Okoro said he was delighted that his gift, a two-metre-by-two-metre plaque with carvings depicting historical events in Benin City, had been accepted even though the museum ruled out an exchange.

“It’s disappointing but this is the first step,” he said.

Nigerian artist Osarobo Zeickner-Okoro, who offered to donate new artworks created in Benin City, Nigeria, to the British Museum poses for a photograph outside its building in London, Britain, on Sept 16, 2021. PHOTO: Reuters

Created from brass and bronze in the once mighty Kingdom of Benin from at least the 16th century onwards, the Benin Bronzes are among Africa’s most culturally significant artefacts.

European museums that house them have faced years of criticism because of their status as loot and symbols of colonial greed.

“Part of the crime that’s been committed is that Benin has been portrayed as this dead civilisation,” said Zeickner-Okoro.

“The reparation is not just returning the Bronzes. It’s also acknowledging us, that we’re a living civilisation.”

He said the acceptance of his plaque and proposed acquisition of other works, including a life-size ram made from spark plugs by Kelly Omodamwen and some Benin women’s heads by Andrew Edjobeguo, went a long way towards righting that wrong.

“It’s historic, it’s really significant. I think it’s definitely going to open the door for the return of the loot,” he said.

Germany has said it wants to return Benin Bronzes from its museums to Nigeria.

The British Museum, which holds the largest and most significant collection of the items, has made no clear commitment despite demands from the Oba, or king, of Benin.

Asked about its talks with Zeickner-Okoro, the museum said it was discussing new plans for the display of African collections with a wide network of colleagues and “considering a number of different elements around any future displays”.

This article was first published in Asia One . All contents and images are copyright to their respective owners and sources.

Tags: #artists#artwork#Museums & galleriesBritish Museum
Previous Post

China power cuts hit homes, factories and threaten growth

Next Post

Pleng by Smart introduces ‘Pleng Points’, a loyalty program for Cambodian music lovers

Related Posts

Italy to pass ‘right to be forgotten’ law for cancer survivors

Italy to pass ‘right to be forgotten’ law for cancer survivors

by AsiaOne
June 15, 2023
0
28

ROME — Italy will pass a law on the "right to be forgotten" (RTBF) for cancer survivors, Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni...

Bill Gates in China: Microsoft co-founder to meet Xi Jinping

Bill Gates in China: Microsoft co-founder to meet Xi Jinping

by AsiaOne
June 15, 2023
0
47

HONG KONG — Bill Gates, Microsoft Corp's co-founder, is set to meet Chinese President Xi Jinping on Friday (June 16) during his...

US judge temporarily blocks Microsoft acquisition of Activision

US judge temporarily blocks Microsoft acquisition of Activision

by AsiaOne
June 15, 2023
0
32

WASHINGTON - A US judge late on Tuesday (June 13) granted the Federal Trade Commission's (FTC) request to temporarily block Microsoft...

Most Popular

Thai soldiers encounter landmines in former Cambodian battlefield for the second time

Thai soldiers encounter landmines in former Cambodian battlefield for the second time

July 25, 2025
38
Wrapped in blanket, dumped in pond: Top South Korean livestreamer found dead in Cambodia

Wrapped in blanket, dumped in pond: Top South Korean livestreamer found dead in Cambodia

June 14, 2023
148
Rare earth elements discovered on Gossan Hills prospects in Cambodia, says Angkor Resources

Rare earth elements discovered on Gossan Hills prospects in Cambodia, says Angkor Resources

November 17, 2021
91
Cambodia dismisses Thai accusations of planting new landmines

Cambodia dismisses Thai accusations of planting new landmines

July 25, 2025
28
Prince Manor Resort in Cambodia, built at a cost of $85 million, launched

Prince Manor Resort in Cambodia, built at a cost of $85 million, launched

October 10, 2020
78
Neak Poan Temple is a destination for tourists to visit and take beautiful pictures

Neak Poan Temple is a destination for tourists to visit and take beautiful pictures

July 3, 2023
129

© 2020 By Khmer Daily News

error: Content is protected !!
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Latest
  • Cambodia
  • ASIA
  • World
  • Business
  • Tech

© 2019 The Khmer Daily.