Saturday, August 30, 2025
Khmer Daily Cambodia News
34 °c
Phnom Penh
  • LATEST
  • CAMBODIA
  • ASIA
    • JAPAN
    • SOUTH KOREA
    • TAIWAN
  • WORLD
    • CHINA
    • RUSSIA
  • BUSINESS CAMBODIA
  • TECHNOLOGY
No Result
View All Result
  • LATEST
  • CAMBODIA
  • ASIA
    • JAPAN
    • SOUTH KOREA
    • TAIWAN
  • WORLD
    • CHINA
    • RUSSIA
  • BUSINESS CAMBODIA
  • TECHNOLOGY
No Result
View All Result
The Khmer Daily
No Result
View All Result
Home ASIA Hong Kong

Scrapping US-China military talks deepens risk at dangerous time, analysts and officials say

August 7, 2022
in ASIA, China, Politics, Taiwan, US, World
0
Scrapping US-China military talks deepens risk at dangerous time, analysts and officials say
0
SHARES
12
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

HONG KONG — China’s cutting of some of its few communication links with the United States military raises the risk of an accidental escalation of tension over Taiwan at a critical moment, according to security analysts, diplomats and United States officials.

China called off planned formal talks involving theatre-level commands, defence policy coordination and military maritime consultations on Friday (Aug 5) as part of its retaliation against United States House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s visit to Taiwan this week.

In an editorial on Saturday, the Communist Party’s People’s Daily newspaper described the response, along with sanctions against Pelosi and her family, as “effective measures that fully demonstrate that China is fully determined and capable of safeguarding national unity and safeguarding … sovereignty and territorial integrity”.

Christopher Twomey, a security scholar at the United States Naval Postgraduate School in California, told Reuters the severing of the communication links was worrying, coming at what he believed was the beginning of a new Taiwan crisis.

China fired ballistic missiles over Taipei as part of four days of unprecedented military drills around the island it claims as its own — exercises due to end at noon on Sunday.

“This increased density of forces, in the context of an intensifying crisis, raises the prospect for inadvertent escalation that neither side wants,” Twomey said, speaking in a private capacity.

“That is precisely the time you would want to have more opportunities to talk to the other side … Losing those channels greatly reduces the ability of the two sides to de-conflict military forces as various exercises and operations continue.”

As Chinese warships, fighter jets and drones manoeuvre around Taiwan, at least four powerful United States vessels, including the aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan, the amphibious assault ship USS Tripoli and the guided missile cruiser USS Antietam are east of Taiwan, Reuters has confirmed.

Not taking calls

Bonnie Glaser, a Washington-based security analyst with the German Marshall Fund of the United States, said, more broadly, prospects were “extremely low for holding talks on risk reduction measures or stability”.

Over time, she said she expected the specific talks called off this week would resume but “right now, China has to signal toughness and resolve”.

A United States official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Chinese officials had not responded to calls from senior Pentagon officials this week but that was seen as China showing displeasure over Pelosi’s trip rather than the severing of the channel between senior defence officials, including United States Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin.

Austin pushed for improved communication between the rival forces when met Chinese Defence Minister General Wei Fenghe on the sidelines of Shangri-la Dialogue security meeting in Singapore in June.

Both Asian and Western diplomats said United States military chiefs had been pushing for more frequent theatre-level command talks for some time, given China’s growing deployments across Asia, where the United States navy has traditionally been the dominant power.

The Pentagon said on Friday that China was overreacting and the United States was still open to building crisis communication mechanisms.

“Part of this overreaction has been strictly limiting its defence engagements when any responsible state would recognise that we need them now the most,” acting Pentagon spokesman Todd Breasseale said.

This article was first published in Asia One . All contents and images are copyright to their respective owners and sources.

Tags: #china military#Defence and military#Military#US military
Previous Post

Taiwan says Chinese planes, ships carry out attack simulation exercise

Next Post

Zelenskiy calls attack on Ukrainian nuclear plant ‘Russian nuclear terror’

Related Posts

Thai soldiers encounter landmines in former Cambodian battlefield for the second time

Thai soldiers encounter landmines in former Cambodian battlefield for the second time

by Khmer Times
July 25, 2025
0
40

On July 23, a Thai soldier lost his leg and several others sustained injuries after triggering a landmine while patrolling...

Cambodia dismisses Thai accusations of planting new landmines

Cambodia dismisses Thai accusations of planting new landmines

by Khmer Times
July 25, 2025
0
28

Cambodia dismisses Thai accusations of planting new landmines, causing injuries to five soldiers. Maly Socheata, undersecretary of state at Cambodia's...

Thailand has intensified its diplomatic with Cambodia following a second landmine incident

Thailand has intensified its diplomatic with Cambodia following a second landmine incident

by Khmer Times
July 25, 2025
0
17

Following a second landmine incident, Thailand has intensified diplomatic tensions with Cambodia, choosing to recall its ambassador and expel Cambodia's...

Most Popular

Thai soldiers encounter landmines in former Cambodian battlefield for the second time

Thai soldiers encounter landmines in former Cambodian battlefield for the second time

July 25, 2025
40
Wrapped in blanket, dumped in pond: Top South Korean livestreamer found dead in Cambodia

Wrapped in blanket, dumped in pond: Top South Korean livestreamer found dead in Cambodia

June 14, 2023
148
Cambodia dismisses Thai accusations of planting new landmines

Cambodia dismisses Thai accusations of planting new landmines

July 25, 2025
28
Rare earth elements discovered on Gossan Hills prospects in Cambodia, says Angkor Resources

Rare earth elements discovered on Gossan Hills prospects in Cambodia, says Angkor Resources

November 17, 2021
91
Prince Manor Resort in Cambodia, built at a cost of $85 million, launched

Prince Manor Resort in Cambodia, built at a cost of $85 million, launched

October 10, 2020
80
Cambodia’s first glove manufacturing factory, RMKH Glove (Cambodia), launches production operation in Bavet

Cambodia’s first glove manufacturing factory, RMKH Glove (Cambodia), launches production operation in Bavet

October 3, 2022
100

© 2020 By Khmer Daily News

error: Content is protected !!
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Latest
  • Cambodia
  • ASIA
  • World
  • Business
  • Tech

© 2019 The Khmer Daily.