Sunday, August 31, 2025
Khmer Daily Cambodia News
34 °c
Phnom Penh
  • LATEST
  • CAMBODIA
  • ASIA
    • JAPAN
    • SOUTH KOREA
    • TAIWAN
  • WORLD
    • CHINA
    • RUSSIA
  • BUSINESS CAMBODIA
  • TECHNOLOGY
No Result
View All Result
  • LATEST
  • CAMBODIA
  • ASIA
    • JAPAN
    • SOUTH KOREA
    • TAIWAN
  • WORLD
    • CHINA
    • RUSSIA
  • BUSINESS CAMBODIA
  • TECHNOLOGY
No Result
View All Result
The Khmer Daily
No Result
View All Result
Home ASIA Indonesia

Indonesia dismisses UN experts’ call to probe alleged abuses in Papua

March 3, 2022
in ASIA
0
Indonesia dismisses UN experts’ call to probe alleged abuses in Papua
0
SHARES
3
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

JAKARTA – Indonesia has dismissed a call by United Nations human rights experts for independent investigations into reports of “shocking abuses” against indigenous Papuans, saying that the Southeast Asian nation has already tackled the accusations.

Separatists have waged a low-level campaign for independence in the resource-rich region for decades, saying a 1969 vote overseen by the United Nations that brought the former Dutch colony under Indonesian control was illegitimate.

In a statement on Tuesday, three independent UN experts said that between April and November 2021 they had received allegations that indicated several instances of extrajudicial killings, including young children, enforced disappearance, torture and enforced displacement of at least 5,000 Papuans.

The statement from the UN experts cited estimates that 60,000 to 100,000 people had been internally displaced in Papua since an escalation of violence in December 2018.

“Thousands of displaced villagers have fled to the forests where they are exposed to the harsh climate in the highlands without access to food, healthcare and education facilities,” said the experts.

In a letter sent to Indonesia’s government on Dec 27, the experts also highlighted increasing violence since 2021 and said there has been a “surge” in raids to capture armed separatists that led to arbitrary arrests and detentions.

One of the cases cited was that of a two-year old who died after a gunfight, though separatists and security forces had differing accounts as to how the child died.

Citing reports that aid to displaced Papuans was being obstructed, the experts called for humanitarian access and for independent monitors and journalists to be allowed access.

“The experts called for urgent humanitarian access to the region, and urged the Indonesian government to conduct full and independent investigations into abuses against the indigenous peoples.”

Describing the UN experts’ statement as “biased”, Indonesia’s permanent mission to Geneva in a statement said the news release disregarded “verifiable data and information” that has already been submitted by Indonesia on the same allegations.

It denied authorities had obstructed aid or carried out forced displacements and said people had been displaced due to a range of factors including natural disasters and tribal conflict.

The statement said security forces needed to be deployed in some areas because of attacks against civilians by “armed criminal groups.”

This article was first published in Asia One . All contents and images are copyright to their respective owners and sources.

Tags: #abuse#asia#human rights#UN (United Nations)Indonesia
Previous Post

Turn down the volume as WHO sets new safe limit for music venues

Next Post

Japan set to extend Covid-19 curbs as hospitals battle infections

Related Posts

Thai soldiers encounter landmines in former Cambodian battlefield for the second time

Thai soldiers encounter landmines in former Cambodian battlefield for the second time

by Khmer Times
July 25, 2025
0
40

On July 23, a Thai soldier lost his leg and several others sustained injuries after triggering a landmine while patrolling...

Cambodia dismisses Thai accusations of planting new landmines

Cambodia dismisses Thai accusations of planting new landmines

by Khmer Times
July 25, 2025
0
28

Cambodia dismisses Thai accusations of planting new landmines, causing injuries to five soldiers. Maly Socheata, undersecretary of state at Cambodia's...

Thailand has intensified its diplomatic with Cambodia following a second landmine incident

Thailand has intensified its diplomatic with Cambodia following a second landmine incident

by Khmer Times
July 25, 2025
0
17

Following a second landmine incident, Thailand has intensified diplomatic tensions with Cambodia, choosing to recall its ambassador and expel Cambodia's...

Most Popular

Thai soldiers encounter landmines in former Cambodian battlefield for the second time

Thai soldiers encounter landmines in former Cambodian battlefield for the second time

July 25, 2025
40
Wrapped in blanket, dumped in pond: Top South Korean livestreamer found dead in Cambodia

Wrapped in blanket, dumped in pond: Top South Korean livestreamer found dead in Cambodia

June 14, 2023
148
Cambodia dismisses Thai accusations of planting new landmines

Cambodia dismisses Thai accusations of planting new landmines

July 25, 2025
28
Rare earth elements discovered on Gossan Hills prospects in Cambodia, says Angkor Resources

Rare earth elements discovered on Gossan Hills prospects in Cambodia, says Angkor Resources

November 17, 2021
91
Prince Manor Resort in Cambodia, built at a cost of $85 million, launched

Prince Manor Resort in Cambodia, built at a cost of $85 million, launched

October 10, 2020
80
Neak Poan Temple is a destination for tourists to visit and take beautiful pictures

Neak Poan Temple is a destination for tourists to visit and take beautiful pictures

July 3, 2023
129

© 2020 By Khmer Daily News

error: Content is protected !!
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Latest
  • Cambodia
  • ASIA
  • World
  • Business
  • Tech

© 2019 The Khmer Daily.