Friday, August 29, 2025
Khmer Daily Cambodia News
34 °c
Phnom Penh
  • LATEST
  • CAMBODIA
  • ASIA
    • JAPAN
    • SOUTH KOREA
    • TAIWAN
  • WORLD
    • CHINA
    • RUSSIA
  • BUSINESS CAMBODIA
  • TECHNOLOGY
No Result
View All Result
  • LATEST
  • CAMBODIA
  • ASIA
    • JAPAN
    • SOUTH KOREA
    • TAIWAN
  • WORLD
    • CHINA
    • RUSSIA
  • BUSINESS CAMBODIA
  • TECHNOLOGY
No Result
View All Result
The Khmer Daily
No Result
View All Result
Home ASIA India

Trio in India arrested over alleged human sacrifice case linked to women’s deaths

October 14, 2022
in ASIA, India
0
Trio in India arrested over alleged human sacrifice case linked to women’s deaths
0
SHARES
8
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Indian authorities have arrested three people for the alleged murder of two women in a purported case of human sacrifice in the southern state of Kerala.

According to The Indian Express newspaper, police said that the suspects – a married couple and another man – had “severely tortured” the victims before killing them and cutting their bodies into pieces.

Police said the suspects had confessed to the crime and an investigation was ongoing.

Remains of the two victims – lottery ticket-sellers Padmam and Rosly – were found buried in the couple’s backyard in Elanthoor village and exhumed by the police on Tuesday.

The two women had gone missing months apart, according to a police report. Padmam, 52, was reported as missing on September 26 and Rosly, 49, had not been heard from as far back as June 6, according to The Indian Express.

In a press conference on Wednesday, Kochi City Police Commissioner CH Nagaraju said that Mohammad Shafi, a 52-year-old “occult practitioner”, had been the main conspirator behind the murders.

He had convinced Bhagaval Singh, a 60-year-old traditional healer and masseur, and his wife Laila, 52, that the human sacrifice was part of a ritual that would lead to financial benefits, Nagaraju said.

Shafi is also accused of having eaten the flesh of one of the victims. Police have “information” that Shafi had consumed Rosly’s flesh, “but we don’t have any evidence”, said Nagaraju.

“Shafi committed acts of sexual perversion on women. He is a pervert and a psychopath,” he added.

Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan said the shocking crime had numbed the human conscience and that abducting and killing people for superstitious reasons was a crime “beyond imagination in a state like Kerala”.

News outlet Hindustan Times reported that Shafi had trawled through social media to find the women, and lured them to the couple’s home under the ruse of money and work.

Rosly had been killed first, a senior police officer told the Hindustan Times.

“The second murder was far more brutal because after the first, Singh reached out to Shafi complaining that he had seen no gain in material wealth, and was told that there needed to be a more gruesome sacrifice because the family was under a curse,” the officer said.

This article was first published in Asia One . All contents and images are copyright to their respective owners and sources.

Tags: #india#Murder/Manslaughter#Womendeath
Previous Post

G20 chair Indrawati says ‘huge gaps’ remain on Ukraine war, geopolitical issues

Next Post

Cambodia earns $7 billion from goods export to US in the first nine months of 2022

Related Posts

Thai soldiers encounter landmines in former Cambodian battlefield for the second time

Thai soldiers encounter landmines in former Cambodian battlefield for the second time

by Khmer Times
July 25, 2025
0
38

On July 23, a Thai soldier lost his leg and several others sustained injuries after triggering a landmine while patrolling...

Cambodia dismisses Thai accusations of planting new landmines

Cambodia dismisses Thai accusations of planting new landmines

by Khmer Times
July 25, 2025
0
28

Cambodia dismisses Thai accusations of planting new landmines, causing injuries to five soldiers. Maly Socheata, undersecretary of state at Cambodia's...

Thailand has intensified its diplomatic with Cambodia following a second landmine incident

Thailand has intensified its diplomatic with Cambodia following a second landmine incident

by Khmer Times
July 25, 2025
0
17

Following a second landmine incident, Thailand has intensified diplomatic tensions with Cambodia, choosing to recall its ambassador and expel Cambodia's...

Most Popular

Thai soldiers encounter landmines in former Cambodian battlefield for the second time

Thai soldiers encounter landmines in former Cambodian battlefield for the second time

July 25, 2025
38
Wrapped in blanket, dumped in pond: Top South Korean livestreamer found dead in Cambodia

Wrapped in blanket, dumped in pond: Top South Korean livestreamer found dead in Cambodia

June 14, 2023
148
Rare earth elements discovered on Gossan Hills prospects in Cambodia, says Angkor Resources

Rare earth elements discovered on Gossan Hills prospects in Cambodia, says Angkor Resources

November 17, 2021
91
Cambodia dismisses Thai accusations of planting new landmines

Cambodia dismisses Thai accusations of planting new landmines

July 25, 2025
28
Prince Manor Resort in Cambodia, built at a cost of $85 million, launched

Prince Manor Resort in Cambodia, built at a cost of $85 million, launched

October 10, 2020
78
Cambodia white sugar production hits 102,000 tonnes a year

Cambodia white sugar production hits 102,000 tonnes a year

December 4, 2020
71

© 2020 By Khmer Daily News

error: Content is protected !!
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Latest
  • Cambodia
  • ASIA
  • World
  • Business
  • Tech

© 2019 The Khmer Daily.